It is Sunday, November 20, 2005. It is 2:59 AM. I am posting this and typing now because it may be the only chance I have for a while to do so.
I have just returned from two days in Marquette, MI. My hubby was deer hunting up near there. He was lucky enough to have shot a six point buck. He was UNLUCKY enough to make a trip to the emergency room of Marquette General Hospital on Friday late afternoon or early evening. I got the call at 8:27 P.M. Friday night. He had a heart attack and they were taking him to the Heart Catherazation Lab and if needed they would also do any procedure at that time to ensure his survival!
Our youngest son, the usual granddaughter and his mother and I headed for the U.P. By the time we notified everyone that we had to contact we were finally on our way at around 11 P.M. It is usually a 10 hour drive, but we made it in just over 7 1/2 hours. We hit very little traffic and the weather was most co-operative. Our arrival time ~ 6:30 A.M.
Upon arriving and finding him , with some difficulty , his Doctor came and talked to us and informed us that this was a "MAJOR" heart attack. And......because he waited so long to seek medical attention, he will have some permanent damage to his heart. It is too early to say for sure just how much, but they know there will be some. He will have an echocardiogram in the future and that should give them a good idea of how much damage there is.
He will be in there 5 days in all. He should be released on Wednesday. His wish is to return to deer camp......not to hunt.......just to sit and enjoy the camaradarie and relax. I must say that I am a bit hurt to think he would prefer that over coming home under the circumstances, but I am trying to be understanding. It is hard to do. After driving all night just to get there to be with him and being deprived of sleep for a couple of days I am having a hard time with this one, LORD! Also, on Saturday he asked us to leave and just go home and take care of business. He wanted his son to return to work because he knows they need the money, he was concerned for the usual granddaughter missing any school and homework, he was worried about his mother's health because of her diabetes, and of course he was afraid that I would become to stressed and have another heart attack myself. So I am trying to look at it from a new viewpoint......that being the one that if that is where he wants to be perhaps his recovery will be faster if he is happy there for a couple of days after his release. Maybe he feels the need to really commune with nature after the ordeal he has been through and I will just accept that and put it behind me and go on from there. After all, things could always be worse, I could be planning a funeral. I will count my blessings and move on!