Thursday, March 02, 2006


When should a grown up result to calling the doctor? When is it justified? After 4 days of running a fever between 100.3 and 101.7 and feeling like crap I am debating on if I should call the Dr. or wait until my scheduled appointment on Monday for my semi-monthly TUNE-UP! I hate to go through the whole weekend sick and not having any medicine to take if needed for this crap.

At first, I thought it was just a cold, but I have never run a fever with just a cold! I had a flu shot last October so I shouldn't have gotten such a severe case of flu, if indeed thats what this is. Although after several bouts with pneumonia over the years I'm thinking that is what it feels like. As long as I take ibuprophen every 4 hours the fever stays down and I don't feel too bad. Except of course from the sore muscles and ribs from coughing so violently which causes me to toss my cookies! I know, gross, but there isn't a nice way to say it.

I have tried taking Coricidin HPB Chest Congestion and Cough pills (that's the only medicine over the counter I can take for these symptoms due to heart disease and hypertension and the prescription drugs I am on) but they don 't really seem to be helping at all.

I guess I will call the Doctors office first thing in the morning and let them make the decision of weather or not I need to be seen. After all, what's another Dr. bill, huh?


Lori said...

I'm so sorry you're sick (and sorry I haven't commented in so long - crazy busy). I think you should go ahead and go to the doctor. There are some things that do have to be waited out, but this sounds like it's kicking just a bit too hard.

Take care of yourself, Martie. And rest. We'll all be waiting here for you when you're feeling better (and actually, here even when you're feeling like crapola!)


Connie and Rob said...

Oh Martie!!
I am so sorry you are feeling yucky. If you are still running a fever I would call your doctor's office for sure. If you need meds you could get a big jump this weekend and be feeling better by Monday hopefully. your doctor.

Feel better very soon.

martie said...

Okay, I called the Dr.'s office and I can combine my Momday appointment with a sick visit today at 2:30 PM. Hopefully they can give me something to kick this crud!!

Bill Scott, Sr. said...

Good luck.

Lord, please work through the hands of the doctor and heal Martie. In Jesus name I pray....Amen

Bougie Black Boy said...

Call the Dr. as early as possible! ! ! As we age, we must take care of ourselves much earlier than we used to.

Nelly said...

I hope you start feelin' better! How will you ever deal with Clew and Naive together if you're not 100%? hee hee!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your health is most important. You know what is best. But, I think you should see a doctor. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. Hugs!

martie said...

Nelly - Being wiser and older, I could probably deal with Naive and Clew while being at only 50% with one hand tied behind my back.....after all.....I'm the MOM! LOL

Lori, Connie & Rob, Bill, and Bougie Black Boy, blaxzing-firebird - Thanks for your thoughts...I shouldn't have waited as long as I did but I keep thinking of myself as much younger than I really am (please allow me my fantasy) and think that I will be able to fight things like this off on my own. Instead I find that I get my butt kicked much faster than I used too! Hahaha