Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Life is GOOD!

While driving through the city the other day hubby and I happened to see several homeless people. Some of them looked pretty cold and miserable. And seeing them reminded me of pictures I have seen of our military in the mountainous regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan. And these images started me thinking about how lucky I am.

I have a house to live in. My family is close by. I am able to heat my house (even though the price of heating is high) I am still able to remain warm which is far better than a lot of people. I have food to eat every day plus food in my refrigerator and cupboards. I have clean clothes to wear and a place to wash them when they are dirty. I have an inside toilet and a shower and tub that I don't have to share with many people. I am free to come and go as I please anywhere I choose. I have the ability to sleep relatively peacefully at night without the sounds of gunfire or bombs going off nearby. I have the freedom to speak what I am thinking without the fear of arrest or prosecution. I have the freedom to attend a church of my choice.

I believe the next time that I think I am having a bad day I will come back and re-read this post.

4 comments:

Nelly said...

No kidding! We all have it really good and always take it for granted. I always complain I never get to sleep in or sleep through the night because of having kids, but most people don't even have a bed to sleep on let alone blankets or a heated house. Thanks for bringing things into perspective this Friday.

Anonymous said...

So much truth in this post. Thank you.

Rebecca said...

Absolutely.... we have much to be thankful for, and sometimes we lose sight of it.

Great post!

Bill said...

That is so true Martie. Thank you for letting me see things from this perspective. It really does take the bite out of complaining when looked at from this perspective.